I've watched, waited, and checked the Farmer's Almanac, and I decided that the much awaited day to put the vegetables in had come. I worked for hours yesterday to get everything in the ground. It looked great. I had plans to take pictures today of yesterday's hard work.
I guess it really is my own fault for not looking at the weather, but I really hadn't even thought to do it...It's just been such nice weather lately.
So, when we awoke today we found that our weather dropped below freezing last night, and there was a nice shiny frost covering all our ground this morning. I put off surveying the damage until this afternoon...
As I wandered through my garden this afternoon, my heart dropped, and sadness turned to anger as I'm pretty sure I uttered a few words that I won't repeat here. I'm a very easy going person, and it takes a lot to make me mad, but seeing that my bell pepper, cucumber, and possibly even other seedlings that I have slaved over for the past few months were frostbitten and on their death bed, brought me to such a high level of irritation....Ooooooooh.
I haven't quite finished venting, and again, I realize that it is partially my own fault for not checking for upcoming frosts. I figured we were past that by May 5th. Sigh. Hindsight is truly 20/20.
We're going to buy a few seedlings this weekend, and I'll plant some new seeds again on Saturday, and we'll see where that gets us. Don't worry....I've already checked the weather tonight for my survivors. Having a garden has been a learning experience for me, and I'll certainly remember this for next year and years to come.
I'm so sorry that happened - - but I bet it never does again. It was still too sad because you were very excited about the planting. At least it is still early enough to get some more stuff.
ReplyDeleteP.S. If something had to get bitten, I'm glad it was the vegetables by the frost rather than you or Joshua by that copperhead!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry! Our little garden looked a little sad this morning as well, and we just planted this past week...Frost may 5, who knew?
ReplyDeleteWe are really enjoying learning about the garden as we go...we have sooo much to learn!