Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A bit of creative writing

I'm back in school for one last summer session and for the Arts Across the Curriculum class the teacher asked us to give our definition of knowledge using some creative medium such as a poem, song, picture, etc. Considering my background in English/writing, I chose a poem. I thought I would share it with you. ;) The above picture, btw, is one from last fall I believe. The end notes include the people from whom I borrowed the few (italicized) quotes.

The Traveler
By: Yours Truly

A star speckled sky on a moonlit night

Leads the traveler on his quest for sight.

He seeks to find one who knows

That which helps man’s mind grow.

On his path through bog and bush

The forest path falls to a hush.

The path on which Traveler treads

Is one of uneasy, unknown dread.

A startled cry darts from his lips.

He sheepishly gazes upon a broken stick.

As if in answer to his cry,

He sees an outline in the sky.

Perched on a bare tree of great size

A great owl opens his eyes so wise.

His knowing smile makes Traveler ponder.

The owl speaks, “Wisdom begins in wonder.” [i]

“Curious,” states the intrigued man,

But he chooses to take the opportunity in hand.

“Sir Owl, I seek to know what knowledge is.”

The owl responds, “What knowledge is?

Is knowledge that which wise men seek

Or that they wish to dull with sleep?

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. [ii]

Which begs the question, Can knowledge slip through one’s fingers?

If information is not knowledge [iii]

Then to what studies do our scholars pledge?

Whence the well from which they drink

To quench the thirst to think?

Traveler, listen to what is writ—

The end of knowledge is to dream

High enough to lose the dream

In the seeking of it.”[iv]

As the owl speaks, he pauses.

He settles down upon his claws.

With a ruffle of his feathers and a flap of his wings

He gives Traveler time to reflect upon these things.

Traveler responds,

“A man without knowledge

Risks sliding off a ledge

To close-minded prejudice

And foolish precipice.

Knowledge can lie in content or skill

And in teachers who realize they are learners still.

A wise man understands there is much to know

And in his life his own mind to grow.

A man can hold intelligence in more than his mind.

Just fix your eyes on at his talents and knowledge you find.”

The owl gazes down upon Traveler with thought.

“It appears Traveler you have found what you sought.”

Traveler responds with an understanding smile.

He continues his journey of never-ending miles.

________________________________________

[i] Socrates

[ii] Alfred Lord Tennyson

[iii] Albert Einstein

[iv] William Faulkner



1 comment:

  1. That is amazing you could write that as a first draft with very minimal changes. Some people are gifted at creative. I remember in middle school art class, we were given papers in half circles and full circles and told to draw something on them. I drew some beginners' pictures of random objects. The students with more of an eye for art saw the half circle as a slice of watermelon and the circle as a slice of orange. My thought was they were clever and how did they see it? Made sense though once they did it! All that to say - - I was never creative at poetry either - - - hated having to write a poem for an assignment.

    ReplyDelete