Saturday, June 12, 2010
Some of the "fruits" of our labor
It may not look like much, but if you pay close attention to the white specks (that is Sevin Dust, btw), you'll notice that my "spare" melon plans that I planted in a tilled clay soil area are not only still alive but thriving. I couldn't stand just throwing away my extra living plants so I planted them to see what they would do. Looks like I could have a bumper crop. :)
Here's the bed with the melon plants which have rich soil, constant watering, etc. It's a bit overcome with weeds right now. Waiting to see if that mixture sprayed on them last night is going to take over. I weeded the mounds around the plants this morning. If the spray doesn't work we'll up the concentration of vinegar & try again.
Our main garden. Josh has given my cucumbers something to climb up so that they don't take over the rest of the garden. The habenero plants in the front also have Sevin Dust. So far it has worked well. When I notice holes appearing in the leaves from bugs I sprinkle the plants, & it keeps them healthy. We've put too much time, money, & work into this garden for the bugs to get it!
Another view. Tomato plants in front, habenero plants to the side, and cucumbers in the back.
Cucumber plants
Carrot plants given to us by a friend. We have 7 small plants so far.
Cucumber blossoms. These particular plants are my pickling cucumbers.
Green tomato waiting for ripeness.
Our bell pepper plants are starting to produce but haven't gotten big enough to pick yet.
A cowhorn pepper from one of Josh's plants. It's the second one from that plant so far.
So far I'm loving growing a garden. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment, and we get healthy vegetables from it too. It's going to be bigger next year, and I'm hoping to grow most of my stuff from seed. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Praise God for all the rain. Your garden is really flourishing!!! I know a family that would buy extra produce from you - - rather than give the money to a supermarket. - - - so if you get an abundance that you can't eat before it ruins, let us know.
ReplyDeleteI am visiting via your mom's blog. Your garden looks great. We did not plant a garden this year so I enjoyed seeing yours. We always enjoyed growing a variety of peppers. I use Sevin dust on my roses and black eyed Susans also. Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend. Nice to visit your blog this evening.
ReplyDeleteLooks fantastic! It obviously takes a lot of hard work! I'd like to have a small herb garden, but there's really no place to put it on an apartment balcony. :( Maybe when we settle more permanently.
ReplyDeleteSuch fun Amanda! Looks like ya'll have done a great job...enjoy;)
ReplyDelete