Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow at Papaw's

On the evening of the 26th we arrived to our road about 4:00 PM. We had made it through the almost 9 inches of snow our area had received, and we only had our own gravel road left standing between us and the cabin. Problem is, our road begins as an uphill, with a slight curve to it, and our poor car just didn't want to make it. Josh gave it three good chances, but the deep snow just wouldn't let us get enough traction.

So, we backed up, headed back down the road and went to another area of our property. We own over 9 acres (family land), and there is probably a 150 feet difference in elevation (think of about a roughly 20% grade hill) between the top of our property and the bottom. Josh's Papaw lives down that way, and his aunts also live on their own land in adjacent properties. We parked the car, and Josh's Papaw took us up the ridge (a 4-wheel drive only road) on his tractor. It was quite fun. We were being pelted with snow from the branches that were hanging in our way. We made it home, sans car and some of the less necessary items. We returned for them today. There's something much more reassuring about leaving our car with family instead of on the side of the road somewhere.

I rest in the same assurance tonight as my car sits at Papaw's. Josh and I both made our way out today. He went shopping; I went to work. He made it home, and I couldn't make it up the same hill. So, my car is at Papaw's, and I got another fun tractor ride. lol. Here's praying that the roads start clearing.

When we were at Papaw's, I took pictures. You're looking at part of Josh's aunts' land, plus maybe some of our own. We have the privilege of having some creek on our property.





This is one of Papaw's hunting dogs. His name is Hank. He's less than a year old, but he is HUGE. He's also friendly (and slightly stupid according to Papaw. Haha).

Just look at that face. Awwwww.
I'll try to post pictures tomorrow of what our view from the cabin looked like on the 27th. :)

1 comment:

  1. So since Hank belongs to Papaw, does that make him Josh's uncle? Tell him the Holder Men have cute faces!!!
    So is that the hard-working tractor in the last picture behind Hank?
    The creek picture is beautiful but you have to love the rocking chair!
    Papaw is definitely Man-of-the-year for you all this week!

    ReplyDelete