Friday, July 8, 2011

Life in the Wilderness

WARNING: If you're a bit squeamish when it comes to reptiles and/or reptiles eating rodents, you might want to stay away. I know I would have liked to stay away myself, but then life in the sticks doesn't always afford that luxury.

As I was sitting in my living room a movement from the front window caught my eye. If it weren't for my paranoia from the last snake encounter on our front porch, I would have just thought that it was a piece or rope or trim that managed to fall down to the ground. The sick feeling in my stomach told me otherwise. It's a snake...

I came out to find this "little" (probably 3 ft or more) guy outside.
I actually found him curled up in this position (below), constricting and eating a bat. There are some bats that have taken up residence in the outside wall of our cabin, and we keep them around because they are very beneficial mosquito predators. Once I'm back at work I want us to buy and set up a bat house that they can reside in. I'm fond of most small furry creatures, and I especially like ones who eat mosquitoes.
Although I was trying to be as unobtrusive as possible while I was taking pictures of this gorgeous snake and then sending them to my husband for his co-worker (who actually owns some snakes) to identify, I was a little too loud as I proceeded to shoo our cats inside They had come to see the commotion.

The snake decided to leave his prey (now dead, sob), and he headed back up the side of our house. If my not knowing if it was poisonous hadn't kicked in at that moment, I felt myself on the very edge of tearful hysteria as I realized it was headed back not only into our walls, but also to get another bat. (That's the bottom of our window frame.)
Turns out that this snake is a non-poisonous corn snake, and his marking are quite similar to this Wikipedia guy. Corn snakes are extremely beneficial as they eat rodents, small lizards, bats (sob), birds, and....bum da da bum!.....Copperhead snakes. They are good climbers, as you can see below, but surprisingly they actually don't like heights much.
So, any snake lovers out there will be glad to know that I did not kill this beautiful, beneficial corn snake, and instead I will live in extreme paranoia on my front porch for the new few weeks instead. lol. They really don't pose a danger to me or our cats even, but after all, I am a girl, and I don't really fancy coming in close contact with this or any other snake. But, I can admire the beautiful markings on its back and stomach. Thank you to....the creator of the zoom lens.

4 comments:

  1. Guess I should be glad you haven't seen any bears near the cabin yet - - - and pray that you never do!!! Another of my blogger friends just posted that raccoons had gotten into her goose pen and killed one. They generally don't go for anything bigger than chickens but she said they are feeding young now and will go after anything.
    The last picture of 'your' snake looks like it is moving if you take your eyes off of it quickly and then look back. 'shivers on my spine'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes...even after years of owning a pet store and having carried various kinds of snakes, even corn snakes, I still don't like them!

    Ok, now Amanda, no more reptile or exotic creature encounters the rest of the year. You have your quota in;-)

    Hope you new class goes well, and try and enjoy the rest of your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. came over form your mom's blog. I can't imagine getting that close (even with a zooms lens) to take pictures of the snake! Oh my gosh! I'd be moving for sure!! You are a brave woman!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... bless your heart. The bats- well, I'm not a bat fan however I did capture one (when I was little) that had thumped into my neighbors door by accident and put it in a jar, pounding holes in the lid so it wouldn't die. I named him Barnabas (that was the day's of Dark Shadows... you're probably way too young to know about that tv super show). Anyway, Barnabas was not only injured beyond repair.. but I don't think the confinement in the jar was the best choice and he soon died. As for snakes... I used to live in a house where we had cement steps leading up to our parked cars. Every morning when I'd leave for work, I'd drag my shovel along and slay a few sunbathers on my way up the steps to the car. DO NOT LIKE SNAKES. I'm sorry... I know there are good ones and bad ones... but, I just can't get past the terror. Good luck to your bats!!

    ReplyDelete